Tuesday 20 September 2011

Week Twelve Box

The first of the winter squash were cut last week and have been curing in the greenhouse for a short time.  This week there is a hubbard squash called Little Gem.  The flesh of these delicious squash is fine, dense and fairly dry when baked making them excellent for pies, soups and one of my favorites, mac and cheese (recipe to follow).  Also in your box this week are some great tomatoes and basil.  Get some nice fresh bocaccini and you have yourself a great classic caprese salad.  Yum. 

In your box this week:

Tomatoes
Butter Lettuce
Cucumbers
Summer Squash
Carrots
Red Russian Kale
Basil
Peppers
Little Gem Winter Squash

I base my squash mac and cheese on this recipe from Martha Stewart.  The recipe calls for butternut squash but I have used a number of different squashes and the little gem works great.  I only use whole wheat pasta because I think the white pasta noodles just don't have enough flavor.  I also don't know that using the ricotta is really worth it and don't put that in either.  The recipe seems to change depending on what I have around the house but I also always put a ton of bread crumbs on top to get a nice thick and crispy layer.  Other vegetables like kale and tomatoes can be thrown in and for non-veggies a little bacon can only be better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment